I thought a ladybug costume would be purrfect for my lovely lady Lucy this Halloween. Here’s the pattern!
Lucy is a ~10 lb adult fluffy cat, and this fit her very nicely. It is easy to add and subtract stitches to make it fit your kitty or doggy.
- Red and black yarn (I used Red Heart Super Saver)
- J hook
- Yarn needle
- Dc = double crochet
- Hdc = half double crochet
- Sc = single crochet
- Ch = chain
- Sl = slip stitch
- The number is parentheses after each line indicates the number of stitches you should have in the row/round.
- Start with BLACK. We’re crocheting in rounds for now. Ch 30. Sl to join with the first ch, being careful not to twist.
- Ch 3. (This doesn’t count as a dc.) Dc in each ch around. Sl in first dc of this step. (30)
- Ch 3. Dc in each dc around. Sl in first dc. (30)
- We’re crocheting in back and forth rows now. Ch 3. Dc in the next 20 dc. Ch 3 and turn. (20)
- Dc in each of the 20 dc from previous row. Ch 3, turn. (20)
- 2 dc in first dc. Dc in next 18 dc. 2 dc in last dc. Switch to RED. Ch 3, turn.(22)
- Dc in each dc. (22)
- 2 dc in first dc. Dc in next 20 dc. 2 dc in last dc. Ch 3, turn.(24)
- 2 dc in first dc. Dc in next 22 dc. 2 dc in last dc. Ch 3, turn.(26)
- Ch 24, join with sl to other side. We are crocheting in rounds now again. (Note: you can adjust the number of ch here to fit your cat.)
- Ch 3. Dc in each dc and then dc in each ch that you made in the previous step. You should have a complete round of dc stitches now. (50)
- Sl to in first dc of pervious round. Ch 3. Dc in each dc around. (50)
- Repeat step 12 four more times. (50)
- Sl, ch 3. 2 dc in first dc. Dc in next 24 sc. 2 dc in next dc. Dc in remaining dc. Sl, ch 3. (52)
- Dc around. Sl. (52)
- We’re crocheting back and forth in rows again now. Ch 1. Sc in first dc. Hdc in next dc. Dc in next 24 dc. Hdc in next dc. Sc in last dc. turn. (52)
- Repeat step 16 twice.
- Fasten off.
- Ch 21, turn
- Skip the first ch. Sc in next 20 ch.
- Fasten off and sew this piece down the center of the main piece.
Spots (make 6)
- Sc 6 in magic ring. (6)
- 2 sc in each sc. (12)
- Fasten off.
- Sew to main piece.